Sunday 7 September 2008

Independent Study

Title:
To what extent does Apocalypto follow the generic conventions of its predecessors in the Action genre?

Hypothesis:
The use of generic conventions in the Action genre has changed over time although, some movies such as 300 use similar generic conventions to those of its predecessors. The main reason for this investigation is to find whether Apocalypto has followed the generic conventions of its predecessors.

MIGRAIN Analysis of Apocalypto Trailer:
M-1- At the beginning the shot of the little girl helps the audience to acknowledge the lifestyle of the people within the movie.
2- The quick cuts and dark like music instantly help the audience to figure that the genre of Apocalypto is Action.
3- The shot of the man looking down on hundreds of people portrays him as the leader once again bringing up the idea of a patriarchy society.

I- 1- Touchstone Pictures
2 - Icon

G - 1- Action
2- Adventure
3- Drama

R - 1 - Males are represented as the leaders, for example, the birds eye view shot of the man looking over hundreds of people.
2- Women are represented as the carers and portrayed as weak and defenceless.

A - 1 - The primary audience of Apocalypto is seen to be Elder Teens around 18 to middle aged adults,40.

I- 1 - Patriarchy
2 - Feminism

N - Non-Linear narrative

Other Texts which would be relevant:
I will be relating Apocalypto to other texts that are similar. One of the texts that I will be relating it to is 300 other texts will be , 10,000 B.C.

Theories/Theorists:
A theory that I will be making a reference to is the Propp's Theory. I will be looking further for more theoriest and theories to include in my research that are relevant to help me along the way.

Where to and what to research:
To help me with my research I will be looking at websites and books about the action genre to understand the basic generic conventions used so that I can compare it to Apocalypto to help make my final judgement. The Internet will be best resource as many websites will contain the data needed.

No comments: